Saturday, April 26, 2014

AFS Interview / AFS Interview Tips / AFS Interview Experience

Hello dear clueless readers, 

I dedicate this blog post to help those who have applied for the AFS exchange programs and are waiting to be selected for the interview. I am an alumna of AFS YES 2011, and I was hosted in GA, USA. It was such a great experience! Anyway, back to the interview. I still remember vividly when I sent out my application back in Form 5 and waited ever so patiently for my name to be shortlisted, and to my surprise I saw my name on the list. I was very excited and nervous too, undoubtedly because you will have to pass the interview before being further filtered into a smaller number in another interview (in my case). I have another blog post dedicated to my experience of being interviewed (a very poorly written piece) but you can check it out by following this link : http://laffingfrikk.blogspot.com/2010/06/afs-interview.html 

Based on what I have gone through, what I can tell you is that do not be afraid. Do mix around with other people and don't just sit in a corner and observe other people like a creep. Make friends. Interact with the volunteers, they're really nice. When it is your turn for the interview, relax. Tensing up provides you no benefit and you can only get more nervous. Do not be afraid of the interviewers, because their job there is not to intimidate you, but to evaluate you. I can't tell you precisely what kind of questions they will pose because my memory has failed me but I'm sure the questions they ask aren't too bad. 
 
If you're wondering if grades play a vital part in determining if you get to go on the program of your choice, do not worry. Let me tell you something. I am embarrassed to say this but I applied for YES with three failed subjects. I did not hold positions of  significant impacts in my school, and I was not an all-rounded holistic student. Academic-wise, I was probably one of the worst students there, and I wish I was joking. Just do your best in the interview and everything will work out for you.

Okay children, that is all the words of knowledge I have to pass on to you guys. I hope you find my post informative and let me reiterate myself; DON'T FREAK OUT. Good luck and good bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment