Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Fighting The Tiger Tonight

This semester I had the luck of taking French as an elective. I have always wanted to learn a foreign language so that I can go to that particular country and charm myself a cute boy so that we can have cute babies together, so it only makes sense for me to put myself under this torture for 14 week for my future husband. Anyway, speaking of foreign languages, my first priority was Spanish. Unfortunately, they only had my second choice so I went with it. My title was actually inspired by a Stephen Chow movie whose name I forgot that had a scene in it where he battled a Frenchman in poker and named the battle as "kam man ta lou fu (fighting the tiger tonight)" - which is a pin yin for "comment allez vous" which literally translated to "how are you" in English. The more you know. 

My first French lesson ended in instant regret because I never knew it was so difficult to make weird nasally sounds, because I speak one of the weird nasally languages since I was born, which is Cantonese. I was born to make these weird nasally sounds. But why couldn't I when the language is the language of love? WHY CAN'T I ROLL MY R'S LIKE THE FRENCH PEOPLE AFTER ALL IT JUST SOUNDS LIKE I'M COUGHING UP PHLEGM WHY IS THAT SO HARD. 

I had the pleasure of having a Frenchman from France as my professeur and it was great. The first few classes were so hilarious because French sounded so alien to meI was doing a really good job at behaving myself in class until I encountered the word "pantalon".  PANTALON. PANTALON!!!! I really lost my shit at this word because 
1. It is pronounced as pang-ta-long.
2. It sounds like a bad word. I don't know in which language but it does.
3. I don't know a funnier word than this word. PANTALON. I repeat - PANTALON.
4. It doesn't matter what that word means because when I put it in this context it makes sense - YOU ARE A PANTALON!!!!

No one found it funny except for me and my professeur glared at me because I was laughing to myself in class. 

No comments:

Post a Comment